Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Fistful of teeth


The original idea I had in mind for this painting was not about teeth at all. As the painting progressed, it brought to mind several different things, like cocoons, honeycombs, a worm's body.....I knew I wanted some red in there, and as I started adding the colour in, it began to take on an image of what I think looks like gums and teeth.  It also looks like there is a fist coming at me.  Kind of looks like a scrunched up hand, punching through the painting. But why the teeth and gums?

When I finished it, I took a long look at it and it made me think of my ex dentist! And the terrible job she did on my tooth recently which caused me to have to get a root canal. 
Maybe I was trying to get my frustrations out? lol
And maybe I just was seeing what I wanted to see.

When I look at the painting, I see it as a fist telling me to back off, or eat it! I feel it has a somewhat  aggressive element to it. Not completely the way I envisioned it, but it's interesting nonetheless.

 On a side note, Fistful of Teeth is also a Gwar song!



No comments:

Post a Comment